Fribourg and Neuchâtel Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Stir the melting pot: Fondue famously originated in the Neuchâtel area—try the two-cheese fondue neuchâteloise that honors the region's fabulous Gruyère and Emmental cheeses or opt for fondue fribourgeoise, a delicious Vacherin Fribourgeois delight.
Switzerland's largest lake: Lac Neuchâtel is a great place for a boat trip, to try out wakeboarding, or to savor the fine fish served on its shores.
You say Schloss: And I say Château. In either language, this area has some of Switzerland's most impressive castles, from Grandson to Gruyères.
Home-grown talent: Whether it's the clockwork extravaganzas of Tinguely or the disturbing alien-like creations of Giger, these two sculptors are true knockouts.
Gorgeous Gruyères: Step into a postcard in this perfect specimen of a medieval stronghold, its single main street cozy within the ramparts.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe