- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Thanks to its altitude of 5,900 feet, Arosa is a well-known year-round sports center, offering brisk hiking, paragliding, and other activities in summer, and a long skiing or snowboarding season with a guarantee of snow. Its modest size, isolated location, quiet atmosphere, and natural beauty set it apart. There is little of the rush of Davos or the pretension of St. Moritz: this is a friendly, family-oriented spot staffed by upbeat, down-to-earth people. Even the well heeled rarely dress for dinner. On a winter walk you are more likely to be overtaken by sleds and horse-drawn carriages than by cars.
The town has two sections. Inner-Arosa, where the Walsers (immigrants from the Valais) built their wooden chalets in the 14th century, is at the end of the valley. Ausser-Arosa is near the train station and the Obersee (Upper Lake). Between the two is the impossible-to-miss casino, with its mosaic facade of screaming colors (it has now been converted into a theater/cinema). A convenient free bus shuttles through the town, and traffic is forbidden between midnight and 6 am. After you deliver your luggage to your hotel, you probably won't be using your car again while in town.
Don't miss the light, water, and music show on the lake at 9:50 pm every Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday from mid-June to mid-October (except in the event of heavy rain or wind).
Arosa at a Glance
Elsewhere in Graubünden
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $217 & Up: du Theatre 3-Star Hotel in Z?rich Expedia
- Visit Z?rich for Less: Hotels Fr $112+/Nt Travelocity
- Book Bar Seehof in May: Weekend Sale! Save 30%! — $206 Save with Expedia, $85/night less
- Book 4-Star Senator Fr $171+/Nt — $171 Expedia
- Book in Z?rich: Save at the Sorell Zurichberg in May Fr $314+/Nt — $314 Save with Expedia, $76/night less