- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Unless you intend to explore every nook and cranny of Graubünden or some of the more remote valleys, you will not really need a car. In fact, a car might cost more time and irritation than simply using public transportation.
Graubünden is mountainous, with few major highways. Drivers can enter either by way of the San Bernardino Pass from the south or from the north on A13, the region's only expressway, which follows a north-south route. Coming from Austria and Munich, the A27 leads into the Lower Engadine; roads over the Ofen and Bernina passes lead into the Engadine from the South Tyrol and Veltline areas of Italy respectively, and the approach to the Upper Engadine from Italy is over the Maloja Pass. The Oberalp and Lukmanier passes lead from Uri and Ticino respectively to the Surselva region to join A13.
If you're traveling in winter, make sure to check the status of the passes beforehand. Trains through the Vereina tunnel shuttle cars between Klosters and Sagliains (Susch-Lavin). The tunnel has made the Lower Engadine quickly accessible during the winter, when the Flüela pass is seldom open. Cars can also be taken by rail from Thusis to Samedan via the Albula tunnel; the service is limited and reservations are essential.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Z?rich: Save at the Central Plaza in May Fr $298+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Z?rich: Save this May Fr $179+/Nt Save with Expedia, $74/night less
- $217 & Up: du Theatre 3-Star Hotel in Z?rich — $217 Expedia
- Visit Z?rich for Less: Hotels Fr $112+/Nt — $112 Travelocity
- Book 4-Star Senator Fr $171+/Nt — $171 Expedia