- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Unlike Queen Victoria, who rode to the summit of this 6,953-foot mountain by mule in 1868, you can travel to Mt. Pilatus via cable car. At the top, a grand 19th-century "mountaineer's" hotel is the centerpiece of the surprisingly stroller-friendly mountain peak.
The mountain was named either from the Latin pileatus (wearing a cap), to refer to its frequent cloud covering, or, more colorfully, for the ghost of Pontius Pilate, who supposedly haunts the summit. (His body, it was said, was brought here by the devil.) For centuries it was forbidden to climb the mountain and enrage the ghost, who allegedly unleashed deadly storms.
Elsewhere in Luzern and Central Switzerland
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save in Z?rich: Book 3 Nts in May at Ambassador Fr $363+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Z?rich at Bar Seehof Fr $224+/Nt Save with Expedia, $92/night less
- Z?rich Savings! Book at Sorell Zurichberg Fr $275+/Nt — $275 Save with Expedia, $66/night less
- Sorell Rex in May: $221 & Up — $221 Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Z?rich this May Fr $189+/Nt — $189 Save with Expedia, $78/night less