- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
This historic town is the capital of the canton Schwyz, root of the name Switzerland and source of the nation's flag. Switzerland's most precious archives are stored here as well. Traces of an independent settlement at Schwyz have been found from as far back as the Bronze Age (2500 BC-800 BC), but it was its inhabitants' aid in the 1291 Oath of Eternal Alliance that put Schwyz on the map.
Many of Schwyz's splendid houses owe their origin to the battlefield. The men of Schwyz had a reputation as fine soldiers and were in demand in other countries as mercenaries during the 16th and 17th centuries. They built many of the houses you can see today with their military pay.
Schwyz at a Glance
Elsewhere in Luzern and Central Switzerland
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $217 & Up: du Theatre 3-Star Hotel in Z?rich Expedia
- Visit Z?rich for Less: Hotels Fr $112+/Nt Travelocity
- Book 4-Star Senator Fr $171+/Nt — $171 Expedia
- Book Bar Seehof in May: Weekend Sale! Save 30%! — $206 Save with Expedia, $85/night less
- Book in Z?rich: Save at the Park Hyatt Zurich in May Fr $845+/Nt — $845 Expedia