- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
The serious view hound may want to reach the top of one of the three peaks that define the landscape around Lugano.
Monte Brè. Monte Brè has a funicular that departs every 30 minutes from the east end of Lugano in Cassarate. At the top are several well-marked hiking trails, as well as an "art trail" in the summit village of Brè, a path studded with pieces of sculpture. The funicular costs 23 SF round-trip. Lugano, 6900. 091/9713171. www.montebre.ch. Mar.-Dec., open daily.
Monte San Salvatore. Monte San Salvatore can be reached via the funicular in Paradiso. Departing every 30 minutes, the funicular costs 24 SF round-trip. At the top are a huge relief model of the entire Sottoceneri region and marked "nature itinerary" paths, which have signs pointing out flowers and trees. Paradiso, Lugano, 6900. 091/9852828. www.montesansalvatore.ch. Mid-Mar.-mid-Nov., open daily.
Monte Generoso. Take a boat from Lugano across to Capolago, where you can take the 40-minute cogwheel train up Monte Generoso. The train cost 42 SF round-trip. At the top you'll find a restaurant and lots of marked hiking trails. Capolago, 6825. 091/6305111. www.montegeneroso.ch. Mid-Mar.-Dec., open daily.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Lugano Dante Center Swiss Quality in May: $327 & Up Expedia
- Villa Principe Leopoldo on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $459+/Nt Save with Expedia, $51/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Lugano this May Fr $122+/Nt — $122 Expedia