Comprehensive trip insurance is valuable if you're booking a very expensive or complicated trip (particularly to an isolated region) or if you're booking far in advance. Comprehensive policies typically cover trip cancellation and interruption, letting you cancel or cut your trip short because of illness, or, in some cases, acts of terrorism in your destination. Such policies might also cover evacuation and medical care. (For trips abroad you should have at least medical-only coverage.) Some policies also cover you for trip delays because of bad weather or mechanical problems as well as for lost or delayed luggage.
Another type of coverage to consider is financial default—that is, when your trip is disrupted because a tour operator, airline, or cruise line goes out of business. Generally you must buy this when you book your trip or shortly thereafter, and it's available to you only if your operator isn't on a list of excluded companies.
Always read the fine print of your policy to make sure that you're covered for the risks that most concern you. Compare several policies to be sure you're getting the best price and range of coverage available.
Insurance Comparison Info
Insure My Trip (800/487-4722. www.insuremytrip.com.)
Square Mouth (800/240-0369. www.squaremouth.com.)
CSA Travel Protection (800/711-1197. www.csatravelprotection.com.)
Travelex Insurance (800/228-9792. www.travelex-insurance.com.)
Travel Insured International (800/243-3174. www.travelinsured.com.)
Allianz (800/284-8300. www.allianztravelinsurance.com.)
Travel Guard Chartis (800/826-4919. www.travelguard.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Switzerland Experience IExplore
- Switzerland by Train IExplore
- Switzerland by Train — $9,755 IExplore