- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Plaine Morte. The pearl of the region is the Plaine Morte, a flat glacier that's perched like a pancake at an elevation of 9,840 feet. A 12-km (7½-mile) cross-country ski trail is open seven months of the year, although there's snow year-round. Valais.
Violettes Plaines-Morte. The ascent on the gondola from Violettes Plaines-Morte, virtually under assault by crowds during the high season, will in itself justify your stay in Crans-Montana. Valais.
Expert skiers may prefer the Piste Nationale, site of previous world championships. Valais.
The incredibly steep-pitched La Toula is a challenge for pros. Valais.
Petit Bonvin. The eastern section of the ski area connects to Aminona, where a park for snowboarders and a bobsled run drop from 7,874-foot-tall Petit Bonvin. A one-day lift ticket costs 63 SF; a six-day pass costs 307 SF, permitting access to 160 km (100 miles) of runs and more than 30 ways to ride to the top. There are several classic cross-country ski circuits atop the golf courses and around the village lakes. Valais.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $454 & Up: De La Paix 5-Star Hotel in Geneva Save with Expedia, $24/night less
- Book 4-Star NH Geneva Airport in Geneva Fr $149+/Nt Save with Expedia, $37/night less
- Special deal: 4.5-Star Bristol Fr $378+/Nt — $378 Expedia
- Nash Ville on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $162+/Nt — $162 Save with Expedia, $18/night less
- Book Kipling - Manotel Geneva in May: Weekend Special — $289 Save with Expedia, $16/night less