- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Valais Restaurant Reviews
For Valaisans, the midday meal remains the mainstay. Locals gather at a bistro for a hearty plat chaud (warm meal) that includes meat, vegetable or pasta, and salad for under 20 SF. The evening meal is lighter, perhaps comprising an assiette (platter) of cheese and cold cuts shared by the table, accompanied by another bread basket and fruit.
Keep in mind that most eateries do not offer continuous service; lunch winds down around 2 and dinner does not begin before 6. Unless a host greets you or you have a reservation, it is fine to take a seat at an open table.
Multiple dining options can share the same entrance and kitchen. A brasserie, or Stübli, is the homey casual section just inside the doorway, with paper place mats, straightforward dishes, and lively conversation. The quieter salle à manger (dining room) has tables dressed in linen and a carte (menu) of multicourse meals and more complicated preparations. If cheese specialties are served, a carnotzet, a cozy space in the cellar or a corner away from main dining, is designated to confine the aroma and foster conviviality.
Browse Valais Restaurants
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Auteuil - Manotel Geneva in May: Weekend Special Save with Expedia, $14/night less
- Visit Geneva for Less: Hotels Fr $131+/Nt Travelocity
- Book 3-Star Holiday Inn Express Geneva Airport Fr $169+/Nt — $169 Expedia
- Geneva Savings! Book at Beau-Rivage Geneva Fr $589+/Nt — $589 Expedia
- Book 5-Star Parc des Eaux-Vives Fr $366+/Nt — $366 Save with Expedia, $65/night less