- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
The first glacier to be used for skiing here was the Längfluh (9,414 feet), accessed by gondola, then cable car. The run is magnificent, sometimes physically demanding, and always varied.
From the Längfluh you can take a lift to reach the ski area of Saas-Fee, the Felskinn-Mittelallalin sector (9,840-11,480 feet). Felskinn harbors its own surprise: in order to preserve the land and landscape, the Valaisans have constructed a subterranean funicular, the Métro Alpin, which climbs through the heart of the mountain to Mittelallalin, that is, halfway up the Allalinhorn (13,210 feet). Tourists debark in a rotating restaurant noted more for the austere grandeur of its natural surroundings than for its food. Felskinn-Mittelallalin's exceptional site, its high elevation, its runs (15 km [9 mi]), and its ample facilities (cable car, funicular, and three ski lifts) have made Saas-Fee the number one summer-skiing resort in Switzerland. It's also one of two official European snowboard centers sanctioned by the International Snowboard Federation. Lifts don't connect with other resorts in the valley—Saas-Almagell, Saas-Balen, or Saas-Grund. However, good days of skiing can be found a bus ride away, and hiking trails open in winter and summer link all four valleys. A one-day lift ticket costs 67 SF; a six-day pass costs 341 SF. If you buy a six-day pass, you become eligible to purchase a day pass to ski in Zermatt at the reduced price of 20 SF.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 5-Star Moevenpick & Casino Geneva Fr $217+/Nt Save with Expedia, $93/night less
- Book 5-Star Beau-Rivage Geneva in Geneva Fr $596+/Nt Expedia
- NH Geneva Airport on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $144+/Nt — $144 Save with Expedia, $36/night less
- Book in Geneva: Save this May Fr $283+/Nt — $283 Save with Expedia, $18/night less
- La Cour des Augustins - Boutique Gallery Design in May: $351 & Up — $351 Expedia