- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Zermatt and the Matterhorn
Despite its fame—which stems from that mythic mountain, the Matterhorn, and from its excellent ski facilities—Zermatt is a resort with its feet on the ground. It protects its regional quirks along with its wildlife and its tumbledown mazots, which crowd between glass-and-concrete chalets like old tenements between skyscrapers. Streets twist past weathered-wood walls, flower boxes, and haphazard stone roofs until they break into open country that slopes, inevitably, uphill. Despite the crowds, you're never far from the wild roar of the silty river and the peace of a mountain path.
In the mid-19th century Zermatt was virtually unheard of; the few visitors who came to town stayed at the vicarage. The vicar and a chaplain named Joseph Seiler persuaded Seiler's little brother Alexander to start an inn. Opened in 1854 and named the Hotel Monte Rosa, it's still one of five Seiler hotels in Zermatt. In 1891 the cog railway between Visp and Zermatt took its first summer run and began disgorging tourists with profitable regularity—though it didn't plow through in wintertime until 1927. Today the town remains a car-free resort (there's a reason for those carriages). If you're traveling primarily by car, you can park it in the multistory terminal connected to the station in Täsch, where you catch the train into Zermatt.
Zermatt and the Matterhorn at a Glance
Elsewhere in Valais
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Auteuil - Manotel Geneva in May: Weekend Special Save with Expedia, $14/night less
- Visit Geneva for Less: Hotels Fr $131+/Nt Travelocity
- Book 3-Star Holiday Inn Express Geneva Airport Fr $169+/Nt — $169 Expedia
- La Cour des Augustins - Boutique Gallery Design in May: $333 & Up — $333 Expedia
- May deal: Rotary Geneva - MGallery Collection Fr $261+/Nt — $261 Expedia