- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Montreux could be called the Cannes of Lac Léman—though it might raise an eyebrow at the slur. Spilling down steep hillsides into a sunny south-facing bay, its waterfront thick with magnolias, cypresses, and palm trees, the historic resort earns its reputation as the capital—if not the pearl—of the Swiss Riviera. Unlike the French Riviera, it has managed, despite overwhelming crowds of conventioneers, to keep up appearances. Its Edwardian-French deportment has survived considerable development, and though there are plenty of harsh modern high-rises with parking-garage aesthetics, its mansarded landmarks still unfurl yellow awnings to shield millionaires from the sun.
Famed for the nearby lakeside Château de Chillon, Montreux is where Stravinsky composed Petrouchka and Le Sacre du Printemps, and where Vladimir Nabokov resided in splendor. Indeed, Montreux and its suburbs have attracted artists and literati for 200 years: Byron, Shelley, Tolstoy, Hans Christian Andersen, and Flaubert were drawn to its lush shoreline. The resort is best known for its annual jazz festival, which lately has strayed from its original focus to include rock, R&B, Latin, and hip-hop. Each July, Montreux's usually composed promenade explodes in a street festival of food tents, vendor kiosks, and open band shells, which complement standing-room-only concert hall venues.
Montreux at a Glance
Elsewhere in Vaud
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Kipling - Manotel Geneva in May: Weekend Special Save with Expedia, $16/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Geneva Fr $217+/Nt Save with Expedia, $93/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Geneva Fr $365+/Nt — $365 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Geneva Fr $273+/Nt — $273 Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- Small budget: Stay in Geneva this May Fr $346+/Nt — $346 Expedia