- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Château de Chillon
Château de Chillon Review
One of Switzerland's must-sees is the Château de Chillon, the awe-inspiringly picturesque 12th-century castle that rears out of the water at Veytaux, down the road from and within sight of Montreux. Chillon was built on Roman foundations under the direction of Duke Peter of Savoy with the help of military architects from Plantagenet England. For a long period it served as a state prison, and one of its shackled guests was François Bonivard, who supported the Reformation and enraged the Savoyards. He spent six years in this prison, chained most of the time to a pillar in the dungeon before being released by the Bernese in 1536.
While living near Montreux, Lord Byron visited Chillon and was so transported by its atmosphere and by Bonivard's grim sojourn that he was inspired to write his famous poem "The Prisoner of Chillon." Like a true tourist, Byron carved his name on a pillar in Bonivard's still-damp and chilly dungeon; his graffito is now protected under a plaque.
In high season visitors to Chillon must now file placidly from restored chamber to restored turret, often waiting at doorways for entire busloads of fellow tourists to pass. Yet the 19th-century Romantic-era restoration is so evocative and so convincing, with its tapestries, carved fireplaces, period ceramics and pewter, and elaborate wooden ceilings, that even the jaded castle hound may become as carried away as Byron was. While you're waiting your turn, you can gaze out the narrow windows over the sparkling, lapping water and remember Mark Twain, who thought Bonivard didn't have it half bad. Proceeds from the purchase of a bottle of Clos de Chillon, the white wine from estate vineyards, goes to restoration activities.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Geneva: Save this May Fr $217+/Nt Save with Expedia, $93/night less
- Geneva Savings! Book at NH Geneva Airport Fr $144+/Nt Save with Expedia, $36/night less
- Book in Geneva: Save at the Nash Ville in May Fr $168+/Nt — $168 Save with Expedia, $18/night less
- Save in Geneva: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $351+/Nt — $351 Expedia
- Book 4-Star Rotary Geneva - MGallery Collection Fr $416+/Nt — $416 Expedia
Just got back from a 10 day trip sponsored by a local college in conjuction with the travel company "EF". Read more
You probably already know that HR Geiger designed the sets for "Alien" as well as the creature that devoured people. Read more
Please, i need your help. Read more
· News & Features
Life in this small Swiss city has its fair share of fondue and chocolate, not to mention cleanliness.... Read more
Springtime always brings jaunts to Europe to the forefront of travel wishlists, but if you've hit the... Read more
When Hollywood came calling, these 10 hotels were ready for their close-ups.... Read more