- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
At the end of the Corniche Road, just west of Vevey, St-Saphorin is perched above the water. With its impossibly narrow, steep cobbled streets and ancient winemakers' houses crowded around fountains and crooked alleys, this is a village that merits a stop. It lies along the ancient Roman highway, and its small church sits atop Roman foundations. There's a tiny museum of Roman artifacts (including a sizable millstone) in the church. Go through the low door near the altar; you can see the museum whenever the church is unlocked and services are not being held. The explanations are all in French, but it's easy to chart the church's expansion through its ruins.
For additional vineyard explorations accompanied by jaw-dropping vistas, take the vertical grade uphill—on foot or by car—to Chexbres. Be attentive, as the close, walled-street relies on tight pull-offs to pass oncoming vehicles. The reward is a different orientation on the working wine village, complete with rail connections to whisk you back down to the active waterfront via Vevey.
St-Saphorin at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Vaud
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Geneva Fr $167+/Nt Expedia
- Early Booking Bonus: Parc des Eaux-Vives in May Save with Expedia, $63/night less
- Small budget: Stay in Geneva this May Fr $267+/Nt — $267 Expedia
- Geneva Savings! Book at Bristol Fr $488+/Nt — $488 Expedia
- Book 4-Star Novotel Geneve Centre in Geneva Fr $238+/Nt — $238 Expedia