When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
When to Go
The temperate climate has four distinct seasons. Spring can be a mad mix of brilliant sun and rain, which means colorful blossoms abound. Summers are humid and have been quite hot in the last years, rivaling some Asian nations; evening thunderstorms are frequent.
Fall becomes crisp around the end of October, and winter brings a low fog ceiling (this is when locals head for any nearby peak over 5,000 feet) or light-to-slushy snow that tends to melt after a week or so.
If you see an elephant wandering around the streets of Zürich, don't worry: it just means the circus is in town. In the winter months a series of circuses—with acrobats, fire-eaters, and lion tamers—travel throughout the country in red-and-white caravans, each stopping along the way in Zürich. In addition to the usual opera, theater, and concert seasons, the city holds a variety of events throughout the year.
One of Zürich's most important festivals is Sächsilüüte, a kind of Groundhog Day in which descendents of medieval guild members circle a burning snowman until its head blows off (how long this takes determines whether spring will come early or late).
When spring springs, so does Jazznojazz, with jazz musicians playing at venues all over town.
Summer is the time for the Zurich Pride Festival, a huge celebration of gay pride.
Even if you don't speak German, you should still attend the Theater Spektakel, a two-week outdoor theater festival, for the excellent food. Sensuous dancing marks the nine days in July of Tangowoche, while techno music is the sound track for August's three-day lovefest called Street Parade.
Fall arrives with the Lange Nacht der Museen, when museums leave their doors open all night. Knabenschiessen, a country fair held on the outskirts of the city, lets youngsters test their aim at shooting competitions. Toward the end of the year is Expovina, a wine exhibition, held on boats moored at Bürkliplatz.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3 Nts in Z?rich this May Fr $314+/Nt Save with Expedia, $76/night less
- Visit Z?rich for Less: Hotels Fr $112+/Nt Travelocity
- Book the Central Plaza 3 Nts in May Fr $305+/Nt — $305 Expedia
- Book 3-Star du Theatre in Z?rich Fr $217+/Nt — $217 Expedia
- Z?rich Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $845+/Nt — $845 Expedia