- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Avanos is a fun little town on the banks of the Kizilirmak (Red River), so named for the red hue of the clay lining its banks. The town is primarily known for the pottery made from this clay, which vies with tourism as the biggest industry around; the local potters specialize in Hittite shapes and designs inspired by pieces found in archaeological digs across Central Anatolia. Many potters also make ornate pieces in unusual shapes, as well as functional painted items such as wineglasses and tea sets. Pottery is a family affair in Avanos, and as you walk around and check out the local shops selling decorated clay pots and vases, you'll notice family members painting the pieces their fathers and grandfathers make. Almost all of the local potters will demonstrate for free how pottery was made in the old days—with a kick wheel and clay from the river.
Near the lively town square, a wobbly pedestrian bridge crosses the river, the banks of which are lined with cafés. Avanos is also famous for its underground tunnels, some of which may lead to as-yet-undiscovered underground cities or link up with larger ones in Kaymakli and Derinkuyu. It seems there's a network of secret passages underneath just about every house, which the residents probably once dug in case there was an urgent need to hide or escape. Özkonak, discovered off a dirt road 15 km (9 mi) north of Avanos, may be the largest underground city in Cappadocia, capable of sheltering up to 60,000 people for an extended period of time—it's open for visitors but Derinkuyu and Kaymakli are by far more interesting.
Avanos at a Glance
Elsewhere in Central Anatolia
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Rixos Konya Fr $226+/Nt Expedia
- Super Low Ankara Rate: Book Fr $81+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $23/night less
- Small budget: Book Swissotel Ankara 3 Nts in May Fr $149+/Nt — $149 Save with Expedia, $24/night less
- 5-Star Barcelo Ankara Altinel Fr $81+/Nt — $81 Save with Hotels.com, $205/night less
- Book in Ankara: Save at the Dedeman Ankara in May Fr $104+/Nt — $104 Save with Expedia, $44/night less