- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Tucked into the hills two hours north of Ankara is one of Turkey's loveliest treasures, a preserved slice of Ottoman past that has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Once a wealthy trading town, it was known for its golden saffron fields—from which the city derives its name. In the 18th and 19th centuries Safranbolu's merchants built stunning timber and stone mansions, a large number of which remain intact. Great efforts have been put into preserving these houses and their surroundings, and as a result the town's historic atmosphere feels pleasantly authentic.
Safranbolu is essentially divided into three parts: hidden in a wide ravine is the historic center, called Çarsi (bazaar); cars are banned here, artisans ply their crafts in open storefronts, and old Ottoman houses line the cobblestone streets. The modern town, Kiranköy, is just above the valley, while the outlying Baglar neighborhood, on the slopes of a small mountain overlooking the city, is where the wealthy had their summer homes in Ottoman times. The Çarsi area has the most to see and do, and it's here and in Baglar that old houses have been turned into charming hotels. The Kiranköy section has little of interest but has modern necessities like banks and bus offices.
Safranbolu at a Glance
Elsewhere in Central Anatolia
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Kayseri: Save this May Fr $74+/Nt Expedia
- Save in Kayseri: Book 3 Nts in May at Hilton Kayseri Fr $158+/Nt Expedia
- Rixos Konya on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $356+/Nt — $356 Expedia
- 5-Star Sheraton & Convention Center Ankara Fr $192+/Nt — $192 Save with Hotels.com, $50/night less
- Book in Ankara: Save at the Dedeman Ankara in May Fr $107+/Nt — $107 Save with Expedia, $22/night less