- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
With a central location and a busy (for Cappadocia) town center due to its higher population (17,000) than Göreme or Uçhisar, Ürgüp is a logical base for exploring the surrounding area. In recent years it has become increasingly known for its boutique hotels, many of which are restored cave houses in the Esbelli neighborhood, a 10-minute uphill walk from the center of town. Hotels in this scenic neighborhood often have breathtaking views of the town and the nearby cliffs dotted with man-made caves. Some beautiful old homes formerly owned by Greeks, who were a significant presence in the town until the Greek-Turkish population exchange in 1923, have also been converted into hotels.
Downtown Ürgüp is a fairly tacky jumble of buildings built up mostly for the tourism industry, but it's a good place to find banks, money exchanges, travel agencies, trinket shops, and even a Turkish bath and a few nightclubs. During the winter months, some of the hotels and restaurants in Ürgüp close, which means fewer options for travelers but a more tranquil atmosphere for those who are around.
Ürgüp at a Glance
Elsewhere in Central Anatolia
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Rixos Konya Fr $226+/Nt Expedia
- Super Low Ankara Rate: Book Fr $81+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $23/night less
- Book in Ankara: Save at the Dedeman Ankara in May Fr $104+/Nt — $104 Save with Expedia, $44/night less
- 5-Star Barcelo Ankara Altinel Fr $81+/Nt — $81 Save with Hotels.com, $205/night less
- Book in Ankara: Save this May Fr $82+/Nt — $82 Expedia