- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Turkish Airlines, Atlas Jet, and Pegasus have regular flights from Istanbul to Kars.
There are daily buses from Istanbul and Ankara to cities in the east, but it's a long trip and not much cheaper than flying. Kars is about 18 hours from Ankara ($35), 22 hours from Istanbul ($45), and 10 hours from Trabzon ($20). Van is about 20 hours from Ankara ($30), 24 hours from Istanbul ($40), and 12 hours from Trabzon ($20). Van Seyahat makes the trip from Istanbul to Van. Kars Dogu takes passenger from Istanbul to Kars.
The train is not the best option: the trip from Istanbul to Kars (38 hours or more) is brutally slow, though it's cheap.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe