- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Çesme, originally a local beach getaway for Izmirians, has now also become a popular summer destination for Istanbul's elite. Despite rapid development, much of the town retains its provincial feel, even if you have to sometimes travel off the beaten path to find it. The location leaves the town exposed to constant winds, making it a hot spot for surfing and windsurfing.
Çesme is on a bay encircled by small towns that are becoming destinations unto themselves, most of which have better stretches of beach than Çesme proper. Dalyan is on the northernmost tip of the bay, while the surfer's paradise, Alaçati, is southeast of Çesme proper. Ilica, directly south of Alaçati, is Çesme's most popular (and closest) neighboring beach town and the first one you'll arrive at if coming from Izmir.
Çesme at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Central and Southern Aegean Coast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Izmir this May Fr $145+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Izmir this May Fr $106+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Izmir this May Fr $84+/Nt — $84 Expedia
- Book in Izmir: Save at the Hilton Izmir in May Fr $203+/Nt — $203 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Izmir Fr $77+/Nt — $77 Expedia