- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sirince, one of Turkey's wealthiest villages, is another worthwhile excursion from Selçuk. Its picturesque cluster of two-story houses is set on a lush hill; the rows of houses create a long string of windows, which have decorative eaves with nature motifs. A former Greek enclave, Sirince has a 19th-century church and a stone basilica, also 19th-century, which has been restored and turned into an art gallery.
The local women's handiwork has become quite popular, and they sell their work along the village paths. Residents also sell fruit wine made from mulberry, quince, and melon, which you can sample over a friendly conversation. Village food is delicious, and there are several inexpensive restaurants scattered around town.
Srinice attracts many local and foreign visitors, but it is never deluged with tourists. To get to Sirince, take one of the dolmuses that leave periodically from Selçuk from 8:30 am to 5 pm.
Sirince at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Central and Southern Aegean Coast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Crowne Plaza Izmir in May: $143 & Up Expedia
- Izmir Savings! Book at Hilton Izmir Fr $220+/Nt Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star Anemon Izmir Fr $76+/Nt — $76 Expedia
- May deal: Yumukoglu Fr $82+/Nt — $82 Expedia
- Izmir Savings! Book at Ontur Izmir Fr $123+/Nt — $123 Expedia