- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Knidos. Knidos was founded in the 7th century BC by Dorian Greeks and prospered because of its excellent location on shipping routes between Egypt, Rhodes, Ephesus, the Greek mainland, and other major ports. The center of the archaeological site is the large ancient agora or market place, down by the water and the ancient ports. If you continue up the hill on the ancient main street, with its views over the harbor and the modern lighthouse, you'll pass the temple of Apollo and then reach the circular temple of Aphrodite, which used to house a lifelike statue of Aphrodite, one of classical Greece's most famous statues.
Around the back of the site is the Corinthian temple with its ancient sundial; back by the harbor is a small odeon, or concert hall. On the promontory with the lighthouse is the rectangular, stone Lion Tomb. The sad-eyed lion is in remembrance of a victory over Sparta. The original is now on display in the British Museum, along with another famous relic from Knidos, a statue of the goddess Demeter. Her sanctuary, however, is up the original stairway that leads to the upper portion of the town on the east side of the ruins. $5.
There is a small restaurant by the jetty where the tour boats arrive.
Southwest of Marmaris is a second peninsula, the Bozburun Peninsula. Most visitors don't make it past the beach at Turunç, but if you do, the village of Bozburn still makes its living by fishing and boatbuilding. Beyond are the little visited ruins of
Elsewhere in The Turquoise Riviera
- Antakya (Antioch)
- Datça Peninsula
- Demre (Kale)
- Eski Datça and Reshadiye
- Finike and Arycanda
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 5-Star Adana Hilton SA Fr $167+/Nt Save with Expedia, $33/night less
- Book in Antalya: Save at the Porto Bello & Spa in May Fr $158+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Book Bilem High Class 3 Nts in May Fr $53+/Nt — $53 Expedia
- Ramada Plaza Antalya in May: $1,500 & Up — $1,500 Save with Expedia, $1269/night less
- Save at 5-Star Club Sera: $448 & Up in May — $448 Expedia