- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Simena and Kekova Sound
Simena (now known in Turkish as Kaleköy), Kekova Island, and its surrounding coastline are some of the most enchanted spots in Turkey, especially as the reflection of the full moon slowly traces its way across Kekova Sound. Most local transportation is by water, and there are many day tours from Kas, but a new road to nearby Üçagiz, off Route 400, has eased the overland journey, which has magnificent views.
Kekova Island stands slightly off a shoreline notched with little bays, whose many inlets create a series of lagoons. Anchoring many are small fishing communities. The disappearing apse of a Byzantine church backs one beach known as Tersane, whose bay is a favorite swimming spot. It is also famed for its "sunken city" though with swimming now banned there isn't much to see; the main attraction is just exploring the beautiful inlet. The village of Üçagiz has small pansiyons and waterside restaurants, and is the base for boat trips across the bay to the island.
Simena, a concrete-free village has the look of the Greek islands before development. Reached by a 10-minute boat ride or half-hour walk from Üçagiz, it's a pleasing jumble of boxy houses built up a steep rocky crag alongside layers of history: Lycian tombs, a tiny Greek theater, and the medieval ruins of Simena Castle atop the rocky hill. There are now numerous basic pansiyons that are rather expensive for the quality of the rooms, but you're pay for the sublime view from the balconies. All offer boat pickups from Üçagiz. Reserve well in advance, in season.
Simena and Kekova Sound at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Turquoise Riviera
- Antakya (Antioch)
- Datça Peninsula
- Demre (Kale)
- Eski Datça and Reshadiye
- Finike and Arycanda
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Surmeli Adana 3 Nts in May Fr $102+/Nt Expedia
- Adana Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Adana Hilton SA Fr $162+/Nt Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- Adana Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Adana Hilton SA Fr $162+/Nt — $162 Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- Book the Surmeli Adana 3 Nts in May Fr $102+/Nt — $102 Expedia
- Antalya Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Bilem High Class Fr $52+/Nt — $52 Expedia