Top Reasons to Go
Castle country: Wales doesn't have a castle in each town, but it has a greater concentration than almost anywhere else in Europe—more than 600 in all.
The Gower Peninsula: This stretch of coastland near Swansea includes some of the region's prettiest beaches, as well as spectacular coastal views and medieval ruins.
Snowdonia: The biggest of the country's three national parks contains its highest mountain, Snowdon, as well as villages that recall the past.
Brecon Beacons: Moorlands, mountains, and valleys make up this rough and wild stretch of the Welsh midlands, as popular with hikers as it is with those who are just happy to take in the stunning views from the road.
Hay-on-Wye: This pretty village on the Welsh-English border has become world famous as a book lover's paradise; every street is lined with secondhand bookstores.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Mercure Cardiff Holland House and Spa Fr $159+/Nt Expedia
- Cardiff Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $173+/Nt Expedia
- Book the Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay 3 Nts in May Fr $150+/Nt — $150 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Hilton Cardiff Fr $201+/Nt — $201 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Cardiff Fr $76+/Nt — $76 Expedia