Machynlleth (pronounced "Mck-unth-leth"), at the head of the beautiful Dovey Estuary, doesn't look like a typical Welsh country town. Its long and wide main street, Heol Maengwyn, is lined with a mixed style of buildings from sober gray stone to well-proportioned Georgian, creating an atypical sense of openness and space. Machynlleth's busiest day is Wednesday, when the stalls of market traders fill the main street.
Machynlleth at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Cardiff this May Fr $153+/Nt Expedia
- $161 & Up: The Angel 4-Star Hotel in Cardiff Expedia
- Special deal: 3-Star Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay Fr $133+/Nt — $133 Expedia
- Book 4-Star Mercure Cardiff Holland House and Spa Fr $129+/Nt — $129 Expedia
- Book 3-Star Mercure Cardiff Centre Fr $86+/Nt — $86 Expedia