Powis Castle Review
Continuously occupied since the 13th century, Powis Castle rises above the town of Welshpool. One of the most elegant residential castles in Britain, Powis is equally renowned for its magnificent terraced gardens. The interior contains an outstanding art collection, from Greek vases to paintings by Thomas Gainsborough and Joshua Reynolds. The Clive of India Museum contains perhaps the most extensive private collection of antique Indian art in Britain. Powis Castle is north of Llandrindod Wells on the A483.
- Address: A483, Welshpool, SY21 8RF
- Phone: 01938/551944
- Cost: £13; gardens only, £9.60
- Hours: Castle and museum Mar.--Sept., daily noon--5; Oct.,--Feb., noon--4; Gardens Mar.--Sept., daily 11--5:30; Mar.--Sept., 11--4; Oct.--Mar. 11--5:30.
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Llandrindod Wells
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3 Nts in Cardiff this May Fr $105+/Nt Save with Expedia, $19/night less
- May deal: Cardiff Marriott Fr $233+/Nt Expedia
- Cardiff Savings! Book at Copthorne Cardiff Caerdydd Fr $120+/Nt — $120 Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- Cardiff Savings! Book at Novotel Cardiff Centre Fr $154+/Nt — $154 Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Cardiff this May Fr $163+/Nt — $163 Expedia
I realized that my other ongoing report ("UK TR, so far)" was now misnamed....so I am finishing here. I started it on the 2nd (or so) day of our trip, but now we have been at home for several days.
The Read more
Again, as promised a separate thread that will be easily searchable. Read more
My 17 year old daughter will be flying alone from the US to Munich via London (Heathrow). Read more
· News & Features
We don't want to make you upset, but the season finale of Downton Abbey (in the US anyway) is this Sunday.... Read more
You may know about its idyllic green, pastoral landscapes, but Wales is full of surprises—from mushroom... Read more
We're checking in on Yosemite Falls, keeping an eye out for Kayak's hot new IPO, and looking toward the... Read more