North Wales Travel Guide
Fodor's England 2013
Wales masses its most dramatic splendor and fierce beauty in the north. Dominating the area is Snowdon, at 3,560 feet the highest peak in England and Wales. The peak gives its name to the 840 square mi Snowdonia National Park, which extends southward all the way to Machynlleth in Mid-Wales. As in other British national parks, much of the land is privately owned, so inside the park are towns, villages, and farms, in addition to some spectacular mountain scenery.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best North Wales restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in North Wales
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- May deal: Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff North Fr $105+/Nt Save with Expedia, $19/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at The Angel Fr $194+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Cardiff this May Fr $195+/Nt — $195 Expedia
- Book 4-Star Copthorne Cardiff Caerdydd in Cardiff Fr $120+/Nt — $120 Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- May deal: Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay Fr $151+/Nt — $151 Expedia
We don't want to make you upset, but the season finale of Downton Abbey (in the US anyway) is this Sunday.... Read more
You may know about its idyllic green, pastoral landscapes, but Wales is full of surprises—from mushroom... Read more
We're checking in on Yosemite Falls, keeping an eye out for Kayak's hot new IPO, and looking toward the... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I realized that my other ongoing report ("UK TR, so far)" was now misnamed....so I am finishing here. I started it on the 2nd (or so) day of our trip, but now we have been at home for several days.
The Read more
Again, as promised a separate thread that will be easily searchable. Read more