Beaumaris (Biwmares) and Anglesey (Ynys Môn)
Elegant Beaumaris is on the Isle of Anglesey, the largest island directly off the shore of Wales and England. It's linked to the mainland by the Britannia road and rail bridge and by Thomas Telford's remarkable chain suspension bridge, built in 1826 over the Menai Strait. Though its name means "beautiful marsh," Beaumaris has become a town of pretty cottages, Georgian houses, and bright shops; it also has Plas Newydd, one of the grandest stately homes in Wales.
Around 70% of Anglesey's 60,000 or so inhabitants speak Welsh, so you'll probably hear it more than English. Anglesey is the home of Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge (formerly Kate Middleton), until William completes his posting as an air ambulance pilot in 2013.
Beaumaris (Biwmares) and Anglesey (Ynys Môn) at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in North Wales
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 3-Star Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay Fr $133+/Nt Expedia
- $161 & Up: The Angel 4-Star Hotel in Cardiff Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Cardiff this May Fr $153+/Nt — $153 Expedia
- May deal: Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff North Fr $103+/Nt — $103 Expedia
- Book 4-Star Mercure Cardiff Holland House and Spa Fr $129+/Nt — $129 Expedia