This beautiful lake has a sense of tranquillity that doesn't entirely befit its history. Lake Vyrnwy was created in the 1880s to provide water for the people of Liverpool, 80 mi north. Unfortunately, this meant forcibly evicting the residents of a small town—an act that is still controversial in Wales. Today it's a peaceful spot surrounded by a thriving nature reserve.
The closest settlement is tiny Llanwddyn, and a bit farther away is Bala, a pretty town with an almost as lovely natural lake of its own.
Lake Vyrnwy at a Glance
Elsewhere in North Wales
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Mercure Cardiff Holland House and Spa Fr $159+/Nt Expedia
- Cardiff Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $173+/Nt Expedia
- Book the Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay 3 Nts in May Fr $150+/Nt — $150 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Hilton Cardiff Fr $201+/Nt — $201 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Cardiff Fr $76+/Nt — $76 Expedia