Getting Here and Around
The capital is a major transportation hub with good connections to other parts of South Wales and with England. Getting to Mid-Wales and North Wales is more difficult, as there's no direct north-south train route (you'll have to connect in Bristol or Shrewsbury) and north-south buses are painfully slow. From London, trains from Paddington to Cardiff Central take about two hours; National Express coaches take about three hours. Cardiff is easily accessible by the M4 motorway. You have to pay a toll of around £6 to cross the Severn Bridge.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $184 & Up: The Angel 4-Star Hotel in Cardiff Expedia
- Book the Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay 3 Nts in May Fr $150+/Nt Expedia
- Book 4-Star Copthorne Cardiff Caerdydd in Cardiff Fr $108+/Nt — $108 Save with Expedia, $19/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Cardiff Fr $76+/Nt — $76 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Hilton Cardiff Fr $201+/Nt — $201 Expedia