Caerphilly Castle Review
One of the largest and most impressive fortresses in Wales, Caerphilly was remarkable at the time of its construction in the 13th century. Built by an Anglo-Norman lord, the concentric fortification contained powerful inner and outer defenses. It was badly damaged during the English Civil War, although extensive 20th-century renovations have restored much of its former glory. The original Great Hall is still intact, and near the edge of the inner courtyard there's a replica of a trebuchet—a giant catapult used to launch rocks and other projectiles at the enemy. Kids love exploring this castle, which is 7 miles north of Cardiff.
- Address: Castle St., Caerphilly, CF83 1JD | Map It
- Phone: 029/2088-3143
- Cost: £4
- Hours: Mar.--June, Sept., and Oct., daily 9:30--5; July and Aug., daily 9:30--6; Nov.--Feb., Mon.--Sat. 10--4, Sun. 11--4. Last admission 30 min before closing.
- Website: www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
- Location: Cardiff
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Cardiff this May Fr $159+/Nt Expedia
- $85 & Up: Mercure Cardiff Centre 3-Star Hotel in Cardiff Expedia
- Cardiff Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $201+/Nt — $201 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Cardiff Fr $76+/Nt — $76 Expedia
- Save in Cardiff: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $184+/Nt — $184 Expedia
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
My husband and I are flying into Brussels in September and plan on flying out of London. Read more
· News & Features
We don't want to make you upset, but the season finale of Downton Abbey (in the US anyway) is this Sunday. ... Read more
You may know about its idyllic green, pastoral landscapes, but Wales is full of surprises—from mushroom... Read more
We're checking in on Yosemite Falls, keeping an eye out for Kayak's hot new IPO, and looking toward the... Read more