Cardiff Castle Review
Like most castles, this one layers a mishmash of styles, in this case from the 11th century onward. The
result can feel clashing, from an austere Norman keep to an over-the-top Victorian mansion complete with
turreted tower. But taking each addition on its own, Cardiff Castle is dazzling. Take the tour of the Victorian
portion to discover the castle's exuberant side. William Burges (1827-81), an architect obsessed by the
Gothic period, transformed the castle into an extravaganza of medieval color for the third marquess of Bute.
The result was the Moorish-style ceiling in the Arab Room, the intricately carved shelves lining the Library, and
gold leaf murals everywhere. Look for the painting of the Invisible Prince in the Day Nursery; on first glance it's just a tree, but stare long enough and a man takes shape in the branches. Note the not-so-subtle rejection of Darwin's theory of evolution, represented by monkeys tearing up his book around the library's doorway. The vast grounds, which include beautiful rhododendron gardens and a habitat for owls and falcons, are sometimes the setting for jousting in summer.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cardiff Savings! Book at Mercure Cardiff Centre Fr $85+/Nt Expedia
- Mercure Cardiff Holland House and Spa in May: $159 & Up Expedia
- May deal: Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre Fr $154+/Nt — $154 Expedia
- Book in Cardiff: Save this May Fr $108+/Nt — $108 Save with Expedia, $19/night less
- Cardiff Savings! Book at Campanile Cardiff Fr $76+/Nt — $76 Expedia
Back a week ago Friday and am finally caught up, ready to start the TR.
Background: Some you have read my trip report of last year's journey to scatter Mom and Dad's ashes at the Lake of Menteith, tou Read more
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
I'm not sure I'm going to get one, but I thought I'd get some suggestions. Read more
· News & Features
We don't want to make you upset, but the season finale of Downton Abbey (in the US anyway) is this Sunday.... Read more
You may know about its idyllic green, pastoral landscapes, but Wales is full of surprises—from mushroom... Read more
We're checking in on Yosemite Falls, keeping an eye out for Kayak's hot new IPO, and looking toward the... Read more