Nightlife & the Arts in Belize City
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Belize City Nightlife
Travelers who like to use their vacations to catch up on their nightlife rather than sleep will find Belize City's scene limited at best. Although locals love to party, safety concerns keep visitors away from most nightspots except hotel bars, such as the bar at the Radisson Fort George or the Calypso Bar at the Princess Hotel & Casino. After dark, take a taxi, or, if driving, park in a fenced and secured lot, such as at the Princess.
Karaoke is a craze among many Belizeans. A hugely popular, locally produced karaoke television show, Karaoke TV, has been running on Tuesday nights on Channel 5 in Belize City since 2001. Most of the hotel bars have karaoke nights once or twice a week. Even in Belize, you'll hear tried-and-true karaoke favorites such as "Crazy" by Patsy Kline and lots of Elvis and vintage Sonny and Cher, and you'll also hear songs like "Bidi Bidi Bam Bam" by Selena and "Greatest Love of All" by Whitney Houston. Singers may go from country to Motown and hip-hop to funk and R&B to reggae, ska, and Latin soca. One KTV champion, Angelo Fabrio, a teenager from Corozal, specializes in Ricky Martin and Elvis impersonations. Belizean taste in music is nothing if not eclectic. At live music shows and clubs in Belize City, you can hear an equally diverse mix of music, although rap in all its variations is as popular in Belize City as in Los Angeles.
One uniquely Belizean style of music is punta rock. It's based on the traditional punta rhythms of the Garífuna, using drums, turtle shells, and rattles. In the late 1970s, Pen Cayetano, a Garífuna artist in Dangriga, began writing punta songs, updating the music with an electric guitar, keyboard, and other electronic instruments. (Cayetano now lives in Germany, although he visits Belize regularly.) Punta rock, earthy and sexy, swept Belize and later became popular in other Central American countries, a result of the export of the music by Andy Palacio, "the ambassador of punta rock," who died unexpectedly at the peak of his career in early 2008, and other punta rock stars.
Browse Belize City Nightlife
Browse Belize City Nightlife By Location
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $176+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Belize City for Less: Hotels Fr $149+/Nt Travelocity
- Save on Your Vacation: 10 Nts The Great House + Air Fr $1,496 Travelocity
- 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $145+/Nt — $145 Save with Hotels.com, $65/night less
- Super Savings on Belize City 7 Nts Htl + Air Fr $1,345 — $1,345 Travelocity