- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Orange Walk Town
Orange Walk Town is barely on the radar of visitors, except as a jumping-off point for boat trips to Lamanai, road trips to Gallon Jug and Río Bravo, or as a place to gas up en route from Corozal to Belize City. Though its population of around 18,000, mostly Mestizos, makes it the third-largest urban center in Belize (after Belize City and San Ignacio), it's more like a "county seat" in an agricultural area than a city. In this case, it's the county seat of Belize's sugarcane region and you'll see big tractors and trucks hauling sugarcane to the Tower Hill refinery. Happily, the new bypass around Orange Walk Town has reduced through-traffic.
The town's atmosphere will remind you a little of Mexico, with signs in Spanish, a central plaza, and sun-baked stores set close to the streets. The plaza, near the Orange Walk Town Hall, has a small market (daily except Sunday and holidays) with fruits, vegetables, and inexpensive local foods for sale. This was once the site of Fort Cairns, which dates to the Caste Wars of the 19th century.
Orange Walk Town at a Glance
Elsewhere in Northern Belize
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Princess & Casino on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $109+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $180+/Nt Expedia
- Super Savings on Belize City 6 Nts Htl + Air Fr $979 Travelocity
- Visit Belize City for Less: Hotels Fr $149+/Nt — $149 Travelocity
- 2% OFF BEST WESTERN Belize Biltmore Plaza! 6 Nts + Air Fr $1,159 — $1,159 Travelocity