- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Gallon Jug Review
The 130,000 acres of Gallon Jug Estates, owned by the family of the late Sir Barry Bowen, is home to old-growth mahogany trees and many other tropical hardwoods along with more than 350 species of birds and many mammals and reptiles. Jaguar sightings are fairly common around the Chan Chich Lodge, averaging around one a week. You're likely to see toucans, many different hummingbirds, and flocks of parrots.
This is a working farm that produces coffee and raises cattle, cacao, and corn. It's the only truly commercial coffee operation in Belize—elevations in Belize are too low to grow high-quality Arabica coffees that thrive at over 4,000 feet—producing Gallon Jug Estates coffee from coffee trees on more than 100 acres. Gallon Jug Estates also produces hot sauces and delicious mango jams, which are for sale in Belize and elsewhere. Tours of the coffee plantings and the production facility, along with other farm tours, can be arranged through Chan Chich Lodge.
Chan Chich is one of the best jungle lodges in Central America, if not the world. This is the only place to stay in the area. It's possible to visit on a day trip from La Milpa Field Station, Blue Creek Village, or even Lamanai or Orange Walk Town, but you need your own transportation and advance permission to come on the gated Gallon Jug lands.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Belize City Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $176+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Belize City for Less: Hotels Fr $149+/Nt Travelocity
- 1% OFF Radisson Fort George and Marina! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1,103 Travelocity
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Belize City Fr $109+/Nt — $109 Expedia
- Super Savings on Belize City 6 Nts Htl + Air Fr $917 — $917 Travelocity
My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon. Read more
2 weeks in Belize was not enough to explore the entire country, but we got a taste of it and we know we will go back for more!
I will not go into a lot of details, but I got a lot of help from this forum Read more
Has anyone heard that GAR was seriously damaged by high winds last week? Read more
· News & Features
Honeymoons are the chance to take the adventure of a lifetime.... Read more
Planning a trip to Belize, you'd expect all manner of outdoorsy and water activities.... Read more
Chock full of ruins, boutique hotels (two owned by Coppola), great food, and barefoot-minded beaches,... Read more