- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
This small Mestizo and Creole community enjoys a bay setting that makes it one of the most relaxed and appealing in all of Belize. You can swim in the bay here, though in many places the bottom is gunky.
Lobster fishing and pineapple farming are the town's two main industries, and Sarteneja is also a center for building wooden boats. Most residents speak Spanish as a first language, but many also speak English.
Visitors and real estate buyers are beginning to discover Sarteneja, and while tourism services are still minimalist, several small guesthouses are now open, and there are a few places to get a simple, inexpensive bite to eat.
Sarteneja at a Glance
Elsewhere in Northern Belize
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Radisson Fort George and Marina in May: $180 & Up Expedia
- Book Now & Save! Belize City Fr $151+/Nt Travelocity
- The Great House Biggest Sale! 7 Nts + Air Fr $1,287 Travelocity
- Belize City Savings! Book at Princess & Casino Fr $109+/Nt — $109 Expedia
- 2% OFF Radisson Fort George and Marina! 3 Nts + Air Fr $1,053 — $1,053 Travelocity