- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Driving to Sarteneja from Corozal Town takes about 1½ hours via the New River ferry and a second, bay-side ferry across Laguna Seca. The road is unpaved and can be very muddy after heavy rains. You also can drive to Sarteneja from Orange Walk Town, a trip of about 40 mi (67 km) and 1½ hours. There are several Sarteneja Bus Line buses a day, except Sunday, from Belize City via Orange Walk Town. The trip from Belize City takes 3½ to 4 hours and costs BZ$10.
The twice-daily water taxi between Corozal Town and San Pedro will drop you at Sarteneja, on request. You also can hire a private boat in Corozal to take you and your party to Sarteneja.
Sarteneja has an airstrip, with two flights daily on Tropic Air from San Pedro (BZ$181 round-trip).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Visit Belize City for Less: Hotels Fr $149+/Nt Travelocity
- Princess & Casino on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $109+/Nt Expedia
- Last Minute Vacation Sale! 6 Nts Belize City + Air Fr $926 Travelocity
- Book 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $180+/Nt — $180 Expedia
- Look no Further! Belize City 7 Nts + Air as Low as $1,018 — $1,018 Travelocity