- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The Northern Highway, a paved two-lane road, is the transportation spine of the region, running about 95 mi (156 km) from Belize City to the Mexican border at Chetumal, passing the two main towns in northern Belize, Orange Walk and Corozal. A bypass around Orange Walk Town provides a way to avoid the congested downtown.
Branching off the Northern Highway are a number of tertiary roads, mostly unpaved, including the road to Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary; the Old Northern Highway that leads to the Altun Ha ruins and Maruba Spa; a road to Shipyard, a Mennonite settlement, which also connects with roads to the Lamanai ruins and to La Milpa ruins and Chan Chich Lodge at Gallon Jug; the San Estevan Road that is a route to Progresso, Copper Bank, and the Cerros Mayan ruins, or, via a different branch, to Sarteneja. Another route to Sarteneja runs from Corozal Town and requires crossing the New River and the mouth of Laguna Seca on hand-pulled auto ferries.
Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary. A paradise for birders and animal lovers, this wildlife sanctuary is an "inland island" surrounded by a chain of lagoons, in total covering about 3,000 acres. Traveling by canoe among countless birds, you're likely to see iguanas, crocodiles, coatis, and turtles.
Altun Ha. Easy to get to from the Northern Cayes or Belize City, Altun Ha is the most visited Maya site in Belize. After the ruins, treat yourself to a cold drink or mud bath at nearby Maruba Resort Jungle Spa.
Northwest Orange Walk District. A fascinating combination of Mennonite farm country, wild jungle, and Mayan sites including Lamanai, La Milpa, and Chan Chich, this remote part of Belize is anchored by two remarkable jungle lodges, Chan Chich Lodge and Lamanai Outpost.
Corozal Bay. It's so low-key you may doze off occasionally, but for relaxation at modest cost you can't find a better spot than the shores of Corozal Bay. Copper Bank and Sarteneja are especially laid-back. Corozal Town is an expat magnet.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $180+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Belize City for Less: Hotels Fr $149+/Nt Travelocity
- Super Savings on Belize City 6 Nts Htl + Air Fr $979 Travelocity
- Princess & Casino on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $109+/Nt — $109 Expedia
- Unbelievable Price! 3 Nts The Great House + Air Fr $901 — $901 Travelocity