- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Corozal is the last stop on the Northern Highway before you hit Mexico. The 95-mi (153-km) journey from Belize City will probably take about two hours, unless you're slowed by sugarcane trucks. The Northern Highway is a two-lane paved road in fairly good condition. Other roads, including the Old Northern Highway, roads to Lamanai, Río Bravo, and Gallon Jug, and the road to Sarteneja are mostly unpaved. Because tour and long-distance taxi prices are high, especially if you're traveling with family or in a group, you likely will save money by renting a car.
Car rental agencies in Belize City will usually deliver vehicles to Corozal and Orange Walk, but there will be a drop fee, starting at around BZ$150. A small local car rental agency, Corozal Cars, has a few cars to rent.
Corozal Cars (Mile 85, Northern Hwy., Corozal. 422/3339. www.corozalcars.com.)
Belize VIP Service (South End, Corozal. 422/2725.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Radisson Fort George and Marina in May: $176 & Up Expedia
- 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $145+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $65/night less
- 1% OFF Radisson Fort George and Marina! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1,103 Travelocity
- Belize City Savings! Book at Princess & Casino Fr $109+/Nt — $109 Expedia
- Super Savings on Belize City 6 Nts Htl + Air Fr $917 — $917 Travelocity