- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Although southern Belize, especially Placencia, is the main sportfishing center in Belize, Ambergris Caye also has good opportunities for flats, reef, and deep-sea fishing. Expect to pay about BZ$450-BZ$600 for one or two people for a day of flats fishing for bonefish, permit, or tarpon, including a guide and a boat. Reef fishing for snapper, grouper, barracuda, and other reef fish costs around BZ$450-BZ$600 a day, including a guide and a powerboat. Deep-sea fishing outside the reef for billfish, sailfish, wahoo, and tuna runs around BZ$1,200-BZ$1,400 a day, depending on the number in your party and the size of the boat. El Pescador. This is an upscale fishing lodge on North Ambergris, one of the top fishing centers in the region. It offers bonefish, permit, and tarpon fishing packages including room, meals, boat, and guide, starting at around BZ$3,300 per person, double occupancy, for three nights (two days of fishing). 226/2398 or 800/242-2017. www.elpescador.com.
For fishing that's easier on the pocketbook, you can fish for snapper, barracuda, and other fish from piers and docks on the island. No license is required. Buy bait, hooks, and tackle at small fishing tackle shacks on the beachfront in San Pedro. You can also wade out in the flats near shore on North Ambergris, north of the river channel, and try your luck with bonefish. Keep an eye out for the occasional crocodile, and you'll have to dodge construction work on new condos going up in this area. You'll catch more with a guide and boat, but fishing on your own is inexpensive fun.
George Bradley. Local guide George Bradley specializes in fly-fishing for bonefish. Pescador Dr., San Pedro. 226/2179.
Fishing San Pedro. A fishing service run by Steve DeMaio, Fishing San Pedro works with about a half-dozen guides on the island. You call Steve, tell him what kind of fishing you want to do, and he will arrange a guide and boat for you and your party. San Pedro. 607/9967. www.fishingsanpedro.com.
Pete Graniel. Local guide Pedro "Pete" Graniel does both deep sea and reef trips and has a boat that's good for trolling. Almond St., San Pedro. 226/2584.
Go Fish Belize. Local fishing guide Abbie Marin arranges fly-, reef, and deep-sea fishing charters, and Go Fish Belize also has a fly-fishing shop. 7 Boca Del Rio Dr., San Pedro. 226/3121.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Belize City Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $176+/Nt Expedia
- 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $145+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $65/night less
- Super Savings on Belize City 5 Nts Htl + Air Fr $820 Travelocity
- Visit Belize City for Less: Hotels Fr $149+/Nt — $149 Travelocity
- Belize City on Sale! 6 Nts + Air as Low as $926 — $926 Travelocity