- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Lighthouse Reef Atoll, the Blue Hole, and Half Moon Caye
If Robinson Crusoe had been a man of means, he would have repaired here for a break from his desert island.
Lighthouse Reef is about 18 mi (29 km) long and less than 1 mi (2 km) wide and is surrounded by a seemingly endless stretch of coral. Here you'll find two of the country's best dives.
At this writing, visiting Lighthouse Reef is best done as a side trip from Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker, or another location in northern Belize. Lighthouse Reef Resort on Northern Caye, a long-established dive lodge, is closed for rebuilding until at least 2010. Planned lodges and restaurants, which were announced in connection with the sale of lots on Long Caye, a 650-acre island, are in a state of limbo, as is the development of Long Caye itself.
Lighthouse Reef Atoll, the Blue Hole, and Half Moon Caye at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Cayes and Atolls
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Radisson Fort George and Marina in May: $180 & Up Expedia
- Book Now & Save! Belize City Fr $151+/Nt Travelocity
- The Great House Biggest Sale! 7 Nts + Air Fr $1,287 Travelocity
- Belize City Savings! Book at Princess & Casino Fr $109+/Nt — $109 Expedia
- 2% OFF Radisson Fort George and Marina! 3 Nts + Air Fr $1,053 — $1,053 Travelocity