The Cayo District Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to The Cayo District
National Parks and Reserves. About 60% of the Cayo District is national parks and reserves. Good news if you like hiking, birding, wildlife spotting, canoeing, or other outdoor activities.
Caves. Although there are caves in Toledo and elsewhere in Belize, the Cayo has the biggest and most exciting ones. Actun Tunichil Muknal is the top caving experience in Belize.
Mayan Sites. The Cayo is home to the largest and most important Mayan site in Belize; Caracol has more than 35,000 buildings. Cayo also has the most easily accessible Mayan sites in the country, Cahal Pech and Xunantunich, along with dozens of smaller ones.
Jungle Lodges. With more than 30 jungle lodges, the Cayo has far more than all the other districts of Belize combined. There's a lodge for every budget, from bare-bones cabins along the Mopan River to ultradeluxe villas on the Macal River and in the Mountain Pine Ridge.
Mountains. The Mountain Pine Ridge's 2,000-3,500 foot mountains, with their waterfalls, caves, and rivers provide a welcome respite from the heat and humidity of lowland Belize.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $145+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $65/night less
- Belize City Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $176+/Nt Expedia
- 1% OFF Radisson Fort George and Marina! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1,103 Travelocity
- Visit Belize City for Less: Hotels Fr $149+/Nt — $149 Travelocity
- Super Savings on Belize City 6 Nts Htl + Air Fr $917 — $917 Travelocity