The Cayo District Hotels
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Cayo District Hotel Reviews
In the Cayo you have two very different choices in accommodations: jungle lodges and regular hotels. Jungle lodges, regardless of price or amenities, offer a close-to-nature experience, typically next to a river or in a remote mountain setting. Most lodges house their guests in thatch cabañas, patterned after traditional Mayan houses. At the top end, lodges such as Blancaneaux and Chaa Creek deliver a truly deluxe experience, with designer toiletries, thick, imported mattresses, and decor that wouldn't be out of place in Architectural Digest. At the other end, some budget lodges have outdoor bathrooms and thin foam mattresses. In between are a number of midlevel lodges providing an off-the-beaten-path experience at moderate prices.
Whereas the district's lodges are back-a-bush (a Belizean expression for "out in the jungle"), the Cayo's hotels are in towns or along the Western Highway. The area's least expensive hotels are clustered in San Ignacio, one of the backpacker centers of Belize. Hotels in and around Belmopan are a little more expensive, because they cater to people in the capital on government business. Whether hotel or jungle lodge, most properties in the Cayo are small, typically run by the owner.
Generally, inexpensive hotels and lodges maintain the same rate year-round, though some may discount a little in the off-season (generally mid-April to early December). More expensive places have off-season rates 30% to 40% less than high season.
Browse Cayo District Hotels
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $145+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $65/night less
- Book 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $176+/Nt Expedia
- Save on Your Vacation: 10 Nts The Great House + Air Fr $1,496 Travelocity
- Visit Belize City for Less: Hotels Fr $149+/Nt — $149 Travelocity
- Super Savings on Belize City 7 Nts Htl + Air Fr $1,345 — $1,345 Travelocity