- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Village Homestay Network
At a Glance
- unique opportunity to get up close and personal with the indigenous community
- basic lodging even by backpacker standards
- little personal privacy
Village Homestay Network Review
The Village Homestay Network arranges for visitors to stay with one of about 15 or 20 Mayan families in one of two Toledo villages: Aguacate, a Ketchi village and Na Luum Cah, a Mopan village. You sleep in a hammock in a traditional thatch hut with dirt floor, help with daily activities such as making tortillas (women) or working on a milpa (men), and eat meals with the host family. Bathrooms are outhouses, and you bathe in a river. German Sho (664-9419) currently organizes the program in Na Luum Cah, and Yvonne Villoria of Dem Dats Doin' (722-2470) runs the one in Aguacate. Rates are inexpensive at BZ$20 plus per person per night for lodging plus BZ$21 per person for three meals daily plus a one-time administrative fee of BZ$10 per person.
- Address: 53 Main Middle St., Punta Gorda
- Phone: 722/2470 for Aguacate village; 664/9419 for Na Luum Cah village
- Location: The Maya Heartland
- Rate includes all meals.
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $145+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $65/night less
- Book 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $176+/Nt Expedia
- Look no Further! Belize City 7 Nts + Air as Low as $1,013 Travelocity
- Visit Belize City for Less: Hotels Fr $149+/Nt — $149 Travelocity
- Belize City on Sale! 4 Nts + Air as Low as $921 — $921 Travelocity
My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon. Read more
2 weeks in Belize was not enough to explore the entire country, but we got a taste of it and we know we will go back for more!
I will not go into a lot of details, but I got a lot of help from this forum Read more
Has anyone heard that GAR was seriously damaged by high winds last week? Read more
· News & Features
Honeymoons are the chance to take the adventure of a lifetime.... Read more
Planning a trip to Belize, you'd expect all manner of outdoorsy and water activities.... Read more
Chock full of ruins, boutique hotels (two owned by Coppola), great food, and barefoot-minded beaches,... Read more