- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Earth Runnins Café and Bakut Bar
Earth Runnins Café and Bakut Bar Review
Many visitors and expats enjoy this café's Rastafarian vibe. It's a laid-back (read: service can sometimes seem to be in slow motion) spot for a beer and a bite to eat. Runnins is a Rasta word for happenings, and Bakut is a local tree with pink flowers and long seed pods with edible but smelly seeds—the tree is locally known as Stinking Toe. Local seafood is a specialty here. Try the conch curry or snapper cooked in a banana leaf, or the curried chicken wrap on roti bread. For vegetarians the Mediterranean plate with hummus and babaganoosh is a good choice. Check out the bar, which was made from a large rosewood tree that was felled by Hurricane Iris in 2001, and have a lime daiquiri made from Belizean rum and local organic limes. There's live music some nights. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner Wednesday-Sunday.
- Address: 13 Main Middle St., Punta Gorda
- Phone: 702/2007
- Location: Punta Gorda
- No credit cards.
- Closed Mon. and Tues.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $176+/Nt Expedia
- 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $145+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $65/night less
- Look no Further! Belize City 7 Nts + Air as Low as $1,013 Travelocity
- Visit Belize City for Less: Hotels Fr $149+/Nt — $149 Travelocity
- Save on Your Vacation: 4 Nts The Great House + Air Fr $1,022 — $1,022 Travelocity
My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon. Read more
2 weeks in Belize was not enough to explore the entire country, but we got a taste of it and we know we will go back for more!
I will not go into a lot of details, but I got a lot of help from this forum Read more
Has anyone heard that GAR was seriously damaged by high winds last week? Read more
· News & Features
Honeymoons are the chance to take the adventure of a lifetime.... Read more
Planning a trip to Belize, you'd expect all manner of outdoorsy and water activities.... Read more
Chock full of ruins, boutique hotels (two owned by Coppola), great food, and barefoot-minded beaches,... Read more