- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Diving off Hopkins is very good to terrific. The Barrier Reef is closer here—about 10 mi (17 km) from shore—than it is at Placencia. Diving also is fairly costly here. Half-day, two-tank dive trips to the South Water Caye Marine Reserve are around BZ$200-BZ$280, not including regulator, BCD, wet suit, and other equipment rental, which can add BZ$50. Dive shops with fast boats can also take you all the way to the atolls—Turneffe, Glover's, and even Lighthouse. These atoll trips generally start early in the morning, at 6 or 7 am, and last all day. Costs for three-tank atoll dives are around BZ$380-BZ$400 for Glover's and Turneffe, and BZ$580 for Lighthouse. In late spring, when whale sharks typically show up, local dive shops offer dives to see the Belizean behemoths at Gladden Spit Marine Reserve for around BZ$350-BZ$400. Marine park fees (not usually included in dive trip charges) are BZ$10 each for South Water Caye and Glover's marine reserves, and BZ$30 for Gladden Spit.
Hamanasi. One of the best diving operations in Southern Belize is at Hamanasi. Here you'll find the newest equipment and the biggest boats. 520/7073. www.hamanasi.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe