- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
To get to Placencia, head southeast from Belmopan on the Hummingbird Highway. The highway is one of Belize's better roads, as well as its most scenic. On your right rise the jungle-covered Maya Mountains, largely free of signs of human habitation except for the occasional field of corn or beans. As you approach Dangriga you'll see large citrus groves.
A small local outfit, Barefoot Rentals, rents cars in Placencia. Rates are around BZ$160 a day for a Geo Tracker or Isuzu Trooper. Barefoot will drop the car to you at your hotel or the Placencia airstrip. Also, Budget and other rental agencies in Belize City will deliver to or pick up a car at Placencia, Hopkins, or Dangriga for a fee of as much as BZ$300.
Barefoot Services (Caribbean Travel and Tours Office, Main St., Placencia. 607/5133 or 629/9602. email@example.com. www.barefootservicesbelize.com. Closed Sat. & Sun.)
Jagz Auto Rental (Placencia Airstrip, Placencia. 604/7471. www.genietravelbelize.com/auto_rental_placencia.htm.)
Car Rental of Placencia (Placencia Rd., 1 mi (1 2/3 km) north of the airstrip, Placencia. 625/9573. www.carrentalofplacencia.com.)
Budget (Placencia. 223/2435 in Belize City. firstname.lastname@example.org. www.budget-belize.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe