- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- birder's paradise
- hiking trails for guests
- warm atmosphere
- gourmet meals included
- some rooms are a little dated
- not a convenient base for adventure day trips
Rancho Naturalista Review
Unparalleled bird-watching within a 160-acre private nature reserve with more than 400 recorded species, plus first-class food, and comfortable cabins and rooms are the reasons bird-watchers and nature lovers from all over the world stay here. The ranch is a birder's paradise, with such sought-after hummingbirds as the snowcap and black-crested coquette. During high season, two resident bird guides are on hand to help you find the birds. Even if you are not a birder, the trails are excellent for hiking, and there's horseback riding up into the surrounding mountains. The two-story lodge is upscale modern, with rustic touches, as are the comfortable, separate cabins. Gourmet-quality meals are served family-style in the indoor and outdoor dining rooms, both of which have beautiful views of the Turrialba Valley and volcano. Birding guides cost extra: $60 per group (up to five people) for morning excursions, $50 for afternoons.
- Address: 20 km (12 miles) southeast of Turrialba, 1½ km (1 mile) south of Tuís, then up a rough road, Turrialba, 30502
- Phone: 2554-8100; 888/246-8513 in North America; 2433-8278 for reservations
- Website: www.ranchonaturalista.net
- Location: Turrialba
- 12 rooms.
- Rate includes all meals.
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $95-$145 -- Today Only: 4-Star Costa Rica Resort w/Breakfast BookIt.com
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off Hotel Riu Guanacaste
- $1099 -- Costa Rica 7-Night Riu All-Incl. Vacation w/Airfare — $1,099 Apple Vacations
My husband and I just returned from 9 nights at the Palace. Read more
4 of us spent a week in Costa Rica, mid-April. Read more
We will be in Costa Rica this summer and we all have snorkel gear. Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more