- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Ecoplaya Beach Resort
At a Glance
- lots of activities
- service inconsistent
- pool gets packed during holidays
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Ecoplaya Beach Resort Review
Set between La Coyotera Beach and a mangrove estuary, this Best Western-affiliated small resort has a sprawling collection of equipped villas and two-story concrete buildings (with several types of spacious rooms) that dot ample, landscaped grounds. Be warned—it's in a high-wind zone. Even with windbreak trees and shrubs, the large swimming pool usually has waves. The 1-km-long (½-mi-long) beach has coarse brown sand flecked with broken shells, and the water is extremely shallow and murky during the windy months. Pristine Jobo, Copal, and Rajada beaches are just a short drive or walk away. The hotel organizes activities and tours that include fishing, windsurfing and kitesurfing, snorkeling, horseback riding, and full-day tours to the province's national parks, or historic towns in nearby Nicaragua. Since part of the resort is also a time-share, it's often packed with Costa Rican families during the holidays. The restaurant, set beneath a massive thatch roof, serves good food, though the service is inconsistent. If you want, you can opt for a breakfast only or a per-person, inclusive meal plan.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste
- $1099 -- Costa Rica 7-Night Riu All-Incl. Vacation w/Airfare — $1,099 Apple Vacations
Hello to All!
Well, first a big thank you to all who take the time to answer questions, give advice, and post your own trip reports. Know that your efforts have helped shape this fantastic trip that follows… Read more
My husband and I just returned from 9 nights at the Palace. Read more
I plan to visit CR in June
I am thinking of renting a car from San Jose Airport
1) Is driving around the country easy?
2) How accurate are the GPS
3) How is the roads?
4) Do they have proper signs Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more