- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
La Ensenada Lodge
At a Glance
- interesting setting
- good value
- very simple rooms
- large tour groups at times
- no air-conditioning
La Ensenada Lodge Review
Part of a national wildlife refuge, this is the most comfortable and affordable base for bird-watching, crocodile spotting, and nature appreciation on this side of the Río Tempisque. The 1,000-acre property is also a cattle ranch and salt producer, with nearby salt flats and a freshwater lagoon that attract wading birds (and crocodiles that snack on them). The hotel also organizes boat tours through the Abangares mangroves and alongside Palo Verde National Park. The wood cabins are modest but comfortable, with verandas and big screened windows that let the light and breeze in. But because most of them are duplexes, they don't afford a lot of privacy, so ask if you can get a freestanding one. The rancho restaurant serves buffet-style Italian and Costa Rican meals, including beef raised on the ranch.
- Address: Take the signed turnoff at Km 155 of the Pan-America Hwy. and drive along a gravel road, about 13 km/8 mi southwest to the lodge, Palo Verde National Park | Map It
- Phone: 2289-6655
- Website: www.laensenada.net
- Location: Palo Verde National Park
- 25 cabin rooms.
- Rate includes no meals.
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $59 -- Costa Rica Beach & Golf Resort w/Breakfast, 65% Off Bookit.com
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off Hotel Riu Guanacaste
- $1099 -- Costa Rica 7-Night Riu All-Incl. Vacation w/Airfare — $1,099 Apple Vacations
My husband and I just returned from 9 nights at the Palace. Read more
4 of us spent a week in Costa Rica, mid-April. Read more
We will be in Costa Rica this summer and we all have snorkel gear. Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more